DAILY DEVOTIONS: "flesh on the altar" -Jon Courson

DAILY DEVOTIONS
Read it. Live it. Share it. Tag it.
"Honoring God in the Morning"


#DAILYDEVOTIONS
#LIFESTYLEOFINSPIRATION
#INTHEMORNING



And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Command the children of Israel, and say unto them, My offering, and my bread for my sacrifices made by fire, for a sweet savour unto me, shall ye observe to offer unto me in their due season.
Numbers 28:1–2
 
It’s interesting that the Lord calls the savor of the sacrifices sweet, because if you have ever smelled a burning bull or cow - the hide, the hair, the entire animal, as would be the case in the burnt offering - the odor is anything but sweet.

 Yet, whenever the flesh is placed upon the altar, it’s always sweet to the Father. The flesh speaks of our inclination toward self.

Thus, there is nothing sweeter to God than when I lay my flesh on the altar and let it burn.

Why?

Because it sets me free. God knows that sin is only pleasurable for a season (Hebrews 11:25). Consequently, whenever He smells the burning of the flesh, it’s sweet to Him because He knows the one making such an offering is set free.

 “To be carnally, or fleshly, minded is death,” Paul writes.

“But to be spiritually minded is life and peace” (see Romans 8:6).

Do you want to really live, to have abundant peace? Then put your flesh on the altar and be set free.


Translate