… That ye, being rooted and grounded in love~Jon Courson












… That ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.


Ephesians 3:17-19

How can you know something which passes knowledge? How can you be filled with the fullness of God when God cannot even be contained in the Universe?

I suggest to you the answer lies in this phrase, ‘being rooted and grounded in love’. What is rooted? What is grounded? What is love? The Tree of Calvary was rooted. The Cross was grounded. Therefore, the only way I can truly know the love which passes knowledge is when I focus my eyes upon the Cross of Calvary and see what is the breadth and the length and the depth and the height of the love of God ...

I see the breadth of His love as Jesus stretched out His arms on the Cross.

To what lengths did He go? Because He was slain before the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8), His sufferings are elongated beyond anything we can comprehend, for He had to die for every one of our sins. Thus, the length to which He went to accomplish this is staggering.

How deep did He go? Listen as He cried out on the Cross, ‘My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?’ He cries out in the depths of despair, from the depth of hell paying for your sin, for my sin.

What is the height of His love? Look up and see Him on the Cross, praying, ‘Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.’

The only way I can truly know that which passes knowledge is to consider the height and depth and length and breadth of the Cross — that which was rooted and grounded on the hill called Calvary. And I am reminded of it each time I partake of the Lord’s Table.

Do not forsake the Lord’s Table, dear saint, for it is there you will know that which cannot be known. It is there you will be filled with the fulness of God. It is there you will be rooted and grounded in the mystery of God’s love as you consider the Cross.

Translate