Prayers's great privilege and Power~Bob Caldwell











Prayer's Great Privilege and Power


9:3 Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes.

9:13 As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come upon us; yet we have not made our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities and understand Your truth.

In these two chapters, we get a behind-the-scenes look into why Daniel found himself at the center of what God was doing in the world in which he lived. He was a man of prayer and a man who lived as a result of being greatly loved by God.

That he was a man so thoroughly given to prayer is all the more amazing when you consider the times in which he lived and the extreme demands placed upon his personal life and time. Daniel lived in a pagan nation that generally showed great reproach for the Jewish people, their God, and their nation (v. 16).

The pagan world had seen the Jewish nation completely destroyed and their people dispersed throughout the entire empire of Babylon. Both the people and their God seemed powerless. Added to this was the continued spiritual unfaithfulness of the Jewish people toward their God.

Yet, none of these things moved Daniel from his passionate and fixed purpose to know God and to be a vessel used by God. This became evident in his complete confidence in God's delight in answering the prayers of His servants. From Daniel's training days as a young man to his transition to power under Persian rule, he stood boldly for God in prayer, living a life in the Spirit of God (Dan. 1:9, 2:17-18, 2:28-30, 5:11-12, 6:5-10). The more Daniel prayed, the more he became convinced that God was much greater than the backslidden Israelites or pagan idol worshippers around him believed Him to be.

Daniel's life is a bold statement of faith in a world of unbelief. Not only that, but his life has thoroughly destroyed the common excuse that we all are just too busy to pray. Few of us could ever claim to have more demands upon our lives than Daniel. He served under the direct command of rulers of two successive world empires. Yet in spite of these demands, he stopped and prayed three times every day, as well as made time for extensive times of prayer and fasting (6:10, 9:1-3, 10:1-3).

Daniel's life of prayer clearly linked the events on Earth to the power of God. Even events prophesied in the scriptures were bathed in prayer and fasting (9:1-2). Even though God had promised the prophet Jeremiah that the Jews would be restored to their homeland after 70 years of Babylonian captivity, Daniel still believed prayer was vital to the process of realizing God's promises. Daniel also clearly realized prayer's power in winning spiritual warfare (10:12-20).

Daniel lived under the same accountability to a life of prayer, as did the prophet Samuel. Samuel believed it was a grave sin against God and His people if he did not pray (1 Sam. 12:23).

When we see Daniel's personal communion with God and commitment to what God seeks to do, it becomes clear why Daniel was described as greatly loved by God (9:23, 10:19). It also becomes clear why Daniel was given such amazing revelation into the foreordained prophetic future of both the world in general and God's people specifically (9:23-27, 10:21).

Tragically, Satan has blinded too many of us to the strategic role of prayer. Make it your prayer to have your eyes and your heart set on fire with the amazing privilege and power of prayer.

Daniel's Prayer for the People

1 In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the lineage of the Medes, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— 2 in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the LORD through Jeremiah the prophet, that He would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

3 Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes. 4 And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments, 5 we have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments. 6 Neither have we heeded Your servants the prophets, who spoke in Your name to our kings and our princes, to our fathers and all the people of the land. 7 O Lord, righteousness belongs to You, but to us shame of face, as it is this day—to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, those near and those far off in all the countries to which You have driven them, because of the unfaithfulness which they have committed against You.

8 "O Lord, to us belongs shame of face, to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, because we have sinned against You. 9 To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him. 10 We have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in His laws, which He set before us by His servants the prophets. 11 Yes, all Israel has transgressed Your law, and has departed so as not to obey Your voice; therefore the curse and the oath written in the Law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out on us, because we have sinned against Him. 12 And He has confirmed His words, which He spoke against us and against our judges who judged us, by bringing upon us a great disaster; for under the whole heaven such has never been done as what has been done to Jerusalem.

13 "As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come upon us; yet we have not made our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities and understand Your truth. 14 Therefore the LORD has kept the disaster in mind, and brought it upon us; for the LORD our God is righteous in all the works which He does, though we have not obeyed His voice. 15 And now, O Lord our God, who brought Your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and made Yourself a name, as it is this day—we have sinned, we have done wickedly!

16 "O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray, let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are a reproach to all those around us. 17 Now therefore, our God, hear the prayer of Your servant, and his supplications, and for the Lord's sake cause Your face to shine on Your sanctuary, which is desolate. 18 O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies. 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name."

1 In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the lineage of the Medes, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— 2 in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the LORD through Jeremiah the prophet, that He would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

3 Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes. 4 And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments, 5 we have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments. 6 Neither have we heeded Your servants the prophets, who spoke in Your name to our kings and our princes, to our fathers and all the people of the land. 7 O Lord, righteousness belongs to You, but to us shame of face, as it is this day—to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, those near and those far off in all the countries to which You have driven them, because of the unfaithfulness which they have committed against You.

8 "O Lord, to us belongs shame of face, to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, because we have sinned against You. 9 To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him. 10 We have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in His laws, which He set before us by His servants the prophets. 11 Yes, all Israel has transgressed Your law, and has departed so as not to obey Your voice; therefore the curse and the oath written in the Law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out on us, because we have sinned against Him. 12 And He has confirmed His words, which He spoke against us and against our judges who judged us, by bringing upon us a great disaster; for under the whole heaven such has never been done as what has been done to Jerusalem.

13 "As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come upon us; yet we have not made our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities and understand Your truth. 14 Therefore the LORD has kept the disaster in mind, and brought it upon us; for the LORD our God is righteous in all the works which He does, though we have not obeyed His voice. 15 And now, O Lord our God, who brought Your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and made Yourself a name, as it is this day—we have sinned, we have done wickedly!

16 "O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray, let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are a reproach to all those around us. 17 Now therefore, our God, hear the prayer of Your servant, and his supplications, and for the Lord's sake cause Your face to shine on Your sanctuary, which is desolate. 18 O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies. 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name."

1 In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the lineage of the Medes, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— 2 in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the LORD through Jeremiah the prophet, that He would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

3 Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes. 4 And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments, 5 we have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments. 6 Neither have we heeded Your servants the prophets, who spoke in Your name to our kings and our princes, to our fathers and all the people of the land. 7 O Lord, righteousness belongs to You, but to us shame of face, as it is this day—to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, those near and those far off in all the countries to which You have driven them, because of the unfaithfulness which they have committed against You.

8 "O Lord, to us belongs shame of face, to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, because we have sinned against You. 9 To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him. 10 We have not obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, to walk in His laws, which He set before us by His servants the prophets. 11 Yes, all Israel has transgressed Your law, and has departed so as not to obey Your voice; therefore the curse and the oath written in the Law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out on us, because we have sinned against Him. 12 And He has confirmed His words, which He spoke against us and against our judges who judged us, by bringing upon us a great disaster; for under the whole heaven such has never been done as what has been done to Jerusalem.

13 "As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come upon us; yet we have not made our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities and understand Your truth. 14 Therefore the LORD has kept the disaster in mind, and brought it upon us; for the LORD our God is righteous in all the works which He does, though we have not obeyed His voice. 15 And now, O Lord our God, who brought Your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and made Yourself a name, as it is this day—we have sinned, we have done wickedly!

16 "O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray, let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are a reproach to all those around us. 17 Now therefore, our God, hear the prayer of Your servant, and his supplications, and for the Lord's sake cause Your face to shine on Your sanctuary, which is desolate. 18 O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies. 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name."

The Seventy-Weeks Prophecy

20 Now while I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God, 21 yes, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, reached me about the time of the evening offering. 22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, "O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you skill to understand. 23 At the beginning of your supplications the command went out, and I have come to tell you, for you are greatly beloved; therefore consider the matter, and understand the vision:

24 "Seventy weeks are determined
For your people and for your holy city,
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,
To seal up vision and prophecy,
And to anoint the Most Holy.

25 "Know therefore and understand,
That from the going forth of the command
To restore and build Jerusalem
Until Messiah the Prince,
There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks;
The street shall be built again, and the wall,
Even in troublesome times.

Daniel 10

Vision of the Glorious Man

1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a message was revealed to Daniel, whose name was called Belteshazzar. The message was true, but the appointed time was long; and he understood the message, and had understanding of the vision. 2 In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. 3 I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

4 Now on the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was by the side of the great river, that is, the Tigris, 5 I lifted my eyes and looked, and behold, a certain man clothed in linen, whose waist was girded with gold of Uphaz! 6 His body was like beryl, his face like the appearance of lightning, his eyes like torches of fire, his arms and feet like burnished bronze in color, and the sound of his words like the voice of a multitude.

7 And I, Daniel, alone saw the vision, for the men who were with me did not see the vision; but a great terror fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves. 8 Therefore I was left alone when I saw this great vision, and no strength remained in me; for my vigor was turned to frailty in me, and I retained no strength. 9 Yet I heard the sound of his words; and while I heard the sound of his words I was in a deep sleep on my face, with my face to the ground.

Prophecies Concerning Persia and Greece

10 Suddenly, a hand touched me, which made me tremble on my knees and on the palms of my hands. 11 And he said to me, "O Daniel, man greatly beloved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you." While he was speaking this word to me, I stood trembling.

12 Then he said to me, "Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard; and I have come because of your words. 13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia. 14 Now I have come to make you understand what will happen to your people in the latter days, for the vision refers to many days yet to come."

15 When he had spoken such words to me, I turned my face toward the ground and became speechless. 16 And suddenly, one having the likeness of the sons of men touched my lips; then I opened my mouth and spoke, saying to him who stood before me, "My lord, because of the vision my sorrows have overwhelmed me, and I have retained no strength. 17 For how can this servant of my lord talk with you, my lord? As for me, no strength remains in me now, nor is any breath left in me."

18 Then again, the one having the likeness of a man touched me and strengthened me. 19 And he said, "O man greatly beloved, fear not! Peace be to you; be strong, yes, be strong!"

So when he spoke to me I was strengthened, and said, "Let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me."

20 Then he said, "Do you know why I have come to you? And now I must return to fight with the prince of Persia; and when I have gone forth, indeed the prince of Greece will come. 21 But I will tell you what is noted in the Scripture of Truth. (No one upholds me against these, except Michael your prince.

Daniel 9:1-10:21


v. 1 First year ? As previously stated, these chapters are not in sequential order.

v. 2 Jeremiah ? Jeremiah prophesied that Judah would be conquered by the Babylonians and spend 70 years in captivity (Jer. 29:10) This verse tells us that, as Daniel was studying the book of Jeremiah, he realized that the 70 years of captivity had almost been completed and that the Jews would soon be allowed to return to their homeland.

Desolations ? This is referring to Judah's time in captivity.

v. 3 Set my face ? This is an idiom meaning that Daniel determined to persistently seek the Lord in prayer.

Request ? Daniel is asking the Lord to be faithful to keep His promise to set the Jews free from captivity and allow them to return to their homeland. This teaches us much about prayer as it shows a man that has learned how to pray according to God's will (1 John 5:15).

Supplication ? a request

Fasting ? to abstain from food or drink

Sackcloth ? a coarse material made of camel's hide that caused abrasion and discomfort to the one wearing it; often worn during times of intense prayer

Ashes ? These were often used in conjunction with sackcloth and fasting, during prayer to better enable a person to seek the Lord without distractions.

v. 4. Covenant ? promise or agreement

v. 5 We ? Daniel, recognizing that the judgment of God came because of the sins of the nation, identifies himself with the nation and its sins. He then confesses those sins before making his request for setting the captives free.

v. 7 Countries you have driven them ? The Northern Kingdom of Israel was conquered in 722 BC by the Assyrian empire. They were uprooted from their country and dispersed throughout the Middle East. The same thing happened to the people of Judah in 586 BC, when the Babylonians conquered them.

v. 11 Curse and oath?Law of Moses ? Daniel confesses that Israel is to blame for what has happened to her, because God warned her in His Law that, if the nation rebelled against His commandments, it would come under a curse, be removed from the land, and forced to live in captivity (Lev. 26:14-46, Deut. 28:15-68).

v. 12 Confirmed ? Everything God said would happen had indeed come to pass. Daniel here is pointing out the fulfilled prophecy has confirmed the Lord's faithfulness to his word and has demonstrated Israel's wickedness.

Such has never been done ? Israel's offenses were all the greater because not only had they done the kinds of wicked things the surrounding nations had but they did them in spite of all the grace and gifts that God had given them.

v. 13 The Law of Moses ? Torah. This refers to the first five books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

v. 14 Kept the disaster in mind ? Although He was patient and merciful to Israel, God always remembered the curse He'd promised to bring upon them if they failed to repent. When the time was right, He did bring it upon them.

Righteous ? The Lord is right in what he does, and he was right to judge the nation.

v. 15 Brought you people out of Egypt ? Here Daniel remembers how the Lord saved Israel from slavery in Egypt and brought them out by performing many miracles and fighting on their behalf (Ex. 1-15). He is stating this as a reminder that God has saved His people in the past and can save them again.

v. 16 Turned away ? After confessing the sins of the nation, Daniel now turns to make his request to the Lord.

Holy Mountain ? Jerusalem

Reproach ? Disgrace. In this case, Daniel is saying that the nation has been so disgraceful that they have become a mockery to the nations surrounding them.

v. 17 Face to shine ? This is a Hebrew expression meaning "to look favorably upon" or "to treat well and provide blessing for."

Your sanctuary ? The term sanctuary means Holy Place and is used to refer to the Temple of God in Jerusalem.

Desolate ? The Temple had been destroyed in 586 BC by the armies of Nebuchadnezzar and, at this point, lay in ruins.

v. 18 Incline your ear?open your eyes ? Here Daniel is using anthropomorphism, a figure of speech ascribing human characteristics to non-human beings.

Not?because of our righteous deeds, but your great mercies ? Daniel asks God to save Israel not because they have done anything to deserve it, and not because He owes it to them, but because God loves Israel and wants to save them.

v. 19 Your own sake ? In saving the nation, God would show Himself merciful towards His people and mighty to save. This would teach people of the greatness of God.

v. 21 Evening offering ? Although the altar in Jerusalem had been destroyed and no sacrifices were being offered in Israel at this time, the Jews organized their prayer time around the same schedule. The evening sacrifice was done at 3 pm.

v. 23 Command ? As soon as Daniel started praying, God commanded Gabriel to go and deliver a message to him. This shows God's willingness to respond to prayer.

I have come to tell you ? Interestingly, God responds to Daniel's request by giving him a vision of what is to come later. Daniel asked for the Jews to be saved from the captivity and God shows how He will save them from their sins.

v. 24 Seventy Weeks ? The term "week" in Hebrew is shabua and denotes any ordering of seven. The Jews used the word much like we use the English word dozen. It does not necessarily refer to a period of seven days, but could refer to any period of seven. Most commentators believe that this is referring to 70 periods of seven years, which would equate to about 490 years total.

Determined ? Just as God determined to have Israel in captivity for 70 years, He now has a new plan determined for the people of Israel that will take about 490 years in all. In what follows in this verse, Gabriel is delineating what all is to be accomplished during this 490-year period.

Your people ? specifically the nation of Israel

Your holy city ? Jerusalem

To finish transgression, to make an end of sins ? God will forgive Israel of their sins and will sanctify them and turn them into the holy people He intended them to be.

Reconciliation ? To reconcile is to take two things that have been separated or divided and bring them back together again. Israel had been separated from its God and at the culmination of this 490-year period they would be reunited.

Everlasting righteousness ? God's plan will result in Israel being made completely righteous forever. It would never again fall into sin as it had in the past.

Seal up vision and prophecy ? This, in essence, is saying that after this 490 years there will be no more need for visions and prophecies. This statement carries with it the idea that all visions and prophecies ultimately have their culmination in this 490-year period.

Anoint ? Mashach means to pour oil upon one's head as a sign of setting him apart for something. This was typically done to a man that was appointed to the office of king or high priest in Israel.

Most Holy ? Interestingly, this is a term typically used only of God, but is here used in reference to the coming king, indicating that that king would be God Himself.

v. 25 Command to restore and rebuild Jerusalem ? In 445 BC, about a hundred years after this prophecy, the Persian king Artaxerxes Longimanus issued a decree that the walls of the city of Jerusalem be rebuilt.

Until ? This purpose of this prophecy is to give Daniel a timeframe within which to expect the final salvation of his people. Just as Jeremiah had prophesied that they would return to the land in 70 years, Daniel would prophesy that Israel's ultimate salvation would take place over this 490-year period.

Messiah ? A Hebrew word meaning "the anointed one." This word is derived from the Hebrew word Mashach, mentioned above, and is used of both kings and high priests, as those were the two traditional offices in which the officeholder was anointed.

The Prince ? Nagiyd. This term speaks of one that holds authority or command in any of various ways. It can be translated as chief, commander, or king, as well as Prince. Combined with the previous word, this phrase is clearly meant to refer to a descendant of David that would inherit the throne of Israel. The Jews expected that this Messiah would be a king that would set them free from foreign oppression and give this final salvation to their nation.

Seven weeks and sixty two weeks ? This verse is saying that from the time that the decree is given to rebuild the city of Jerusalem (which came in 445 BC), till the coming of the Messiah the King, there would be 471 years. These 471 years are reckoned rather than the 483 years, because the Jews used a lunar calendar that only had 360 days in it rather than the 365¼ of the solar calendar. Counting down from 445 this brings us to the year 27 AD. Most modern scholars believe that Jesus was born sometime in either 6 or 5 BC, which would make him 33 years of age in about 27 AD. This astonishing prophecy predicts the time of the death of Jesus Christ from the vantage point of Daniel, who died 530 years before Jesus was even born.

v. 26 The sixty two weeks ? It seems that since, in the previous verse, it counted the period of time as 62 and seven, it here uses the definite article "the" to let the reader know that the period of time he is talking about is the same mentioned in the previous verse. He does not mention the additional seven years, because he assumes his reader knows what he is talking about.

Cut off but not for himself ? This tells us that the Messiah will die and that His death will not be a result of any wrongdoing on His part. It also implies that His death will benefit others. All of this was perfectly fulfilled in Jesus Christ around the year 27 AD.

People of the prince who is to come ? The prince mentioned here refers to the future Antichrist, but the people being mentioned are the Romans that would destroy the Temple in 70 AD. They are referred to as the people of the prince who is to come, because they are inspired by Satan and his minions, just as the Antichrist would be.

Destroy the city and the sanctuary ? This must refer to the destruction of Jerusalem at the hands of the Romans in 70 AD.

Flood ? This is a metaphor explaining that the destruction will be swift and total, much as when a flood comes sweeping down.

Desolations ? A term often used by Daniel in speaking of the desecration of the Temple of God.

v. 27 He ? Presumably this is referring to the "Prince who is to come" from the previous verse and is most commonly identified with the coming Antichrist.

Confirm a covenant ? It is thought that the Antichrist will make a pact with the Jewish nation during the period of the 70th week. It is generally assumed that the Jews will consider him to be their Messiah.

One week ? This refers to an indefinite period of time that passes between the 69th and the 70th week of Daniel. As this period of 490 years deals with the ultimate salvation of the nation of Israel, the concept is that the 70th week of Daniel will not take place until after the church is raptured from the earth and the nation of Israel again becomes God's chosen representatives on earth. This 70th week is generally regarded as the last seven-year period, which is referred to as "The Great Tribulation." It is common in Bible prophecy for gaps to exist between events being prophesied in the same passage. Isaiah 11:1-11, for example, is another passage that speaks both of the first and the second coming of Christ in one prophetic passage.

Middle of the Week ? During the first 3½ years of this period, there will be relative peace and prosperity in the Antichrist's kingdom, but then he will change his attitude toward the nation of Israel and begin blaspheming God and desecrating his Temple, which will have been rebuilt at this time.

Abominations?desolate ? Several times in the book of Daniel the idea of abominations and desolations are identified with the desecration of the Temple of God. It is sometimes used in reference to Antiochus Epiphanies, once in reference to the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, and again here in reference to the fact that the Antichrist will desecrate the Temple of God that will have been rebuilt before the end of time (Matt. 24:15).

Consummation ? An end. This is saying that this prince and his evil deeds will reach a point of culmination at which he will not be able to work his desolations any longer.

Determined ? God has determined beforehand the role that this prince will play and how far He will allow him to go. At His ordained time, God will judge him.

Poured out ? A metaphor describing the judgment God is going to bring on this prince and his worldly system.

Desolate ? This is referring again to the prince.

Daniel 10

v. 1 Cyrus ? Cyrus the Great was the first of the Persian line of kings and was renowned among the Jews for releasing many of them and allowing them to return to their homeland. The books of 2 Chronicles (36:23) and Ezra (1:2-4) tell us that Cyrus also issued a decree to the Jews that they should rebuild the Temple of Yahweh that had been lying in ruins for 70 years. Isaiah prophesied about these events in his own book (44:28 ? 45:7), some 200 years before Cyrus was even born.

Appointed time was long ? This prophecy was concerning events in the distant future.

v. 2 Mourning ? We do not know why Daniel was in mourning at this time.

v. 3 No pleasant food ? Daniel ate only vegetables during this time, avoiding meat and wine and other delicacies, so that he might give himself to prayer and remain free from distractions.

Anoint ? People often used oil in their hair for cosmetic purposes and would refrain from doing so during periods of fasting and mourning.

v. 4 Tigris ? One of the two great rivers of the Middle East, the other being the Euphrates, both of which empty into the Persian Gulf.

v. 5 Linen ? Heavenly beings are commonly clothed in white linen, indicating purity.

Uphaz ? Not much is known of this place, but it is apparently well known for its yield of gold.

v. 6 Beryl ? a hard gem of a greenish blue color

Voice of a multitude ? All of these physical descriptions are meant to inspire awe and mystery.

v. 9 Deep sleep ? The vision of this being put Daniel out of his conscious mind. This was the same effect Gabriel had had on him in chapter 8.

v. 11 He ? The speaker does not identify himself by name, but is typically assumed to be Gabriel, as he was sent as a messenger to Daniel twice before. This physical description fits that given of Jesus Christ in Revelation 1:13-16. These similarities exist because the descriptions given are merely general terms used to describe glories that cannot be adequately described in human language. As such, the physical appearances between Christ and Gabriel may not seem all that different to a human being.

v. 12 First day ? Daniel had been seeking the Lord in prayer for three weeks, and the Lord responded immediately by dispatching one of his lieutenants to come and help Daniel in some way.

Because of your words ? This shows that prayer does indeed change things. This angel was sent because Daniel began to pray.

v. 13 Prince of the Kingdom of Persian ? As in 9:26, this is not a reference to the physical king of Persia, who was Cyrus at this time, but to the demonic force that controlled and influenced him. This demonic being worked to hinder the movements of God's messenger.

Twenty one days ? God's messenger was held up for 21 days. This shows us that there is much more going on in the spiritual realm that affects our physical reality than we are aware of.

Michael ? The only other angelic being mentioned by name in the Scriptures besides Gabriel.

Chief Princes ? It is not entirely clear what role Michael plays amongst the heavenly host, but he is one of the foremost authorities over the angels of God, and certainly a very powerful being, as he was able to help this messenger break free and get to Daniel.

v. 14 The Latter days ? days far into the future

v. 15 Speechless ? Daniel could not speak on account of the shock he had received by this encounter.

v. 16 Likeness of the sons of men ? This is simply stating that the being in question looked like a human being.

v. 17 How can this servant?talk? ? The vision of the being had made him keenly aware of his own sinfulness and unworthiness to stand in the presence of a holy God.

v. 20 Prince of Greece ? As with the Prince of Persia, this is referring to the demonic power behind Alexander's kingdom that would shortly come to exert itself against the Persians.

v. 21 Scripture of truth ? This is referring to the prophecies of this vision, which is God's word and would be included in the Scriptures.

Michael your prince ? Traditionally, Michael, the chief of the angelic armies, has been thought to have the specific responsibility of protecting the Israelite nation, and, as such, would fight against the Prince of Persia and Greece to protect God's people.

Prayer Focus


"Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes." –Daniel 9:3

"As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come upon us; yet we have not made our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities and understand Your truth." –Daniel 9:13

Many things get in the way of spending time in prayer with You, Lord. And that is not only sin against You, but it is failing to receive the blessings that only come from prayer. Convict us with Your Holy Spirit, God, and make us men and women with the desire and diligence to pray as Daniel did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate