Gods discovery channel ~ Mike MacIntosh


Now while I was speaking, praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God for the holy mountain of my God, yes, while I was speaking in prayer, the man, Gabriel, whom I had seen in a vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, reached me about the time of the evening offering. And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, "O Daniel, I have now come forth to give you skill to understand." -Daniel 9:20-22

Many people pray very little -- or not at all -- because they think of prayer as a duty to perform, an obligation to fulfill, or a chore to cross off their daily to-do list. Others discipline themselves to pray regularly, but they find the process tedious and tiresome.

I would like to help you see prayer in a new light. Think about it: we have access to the Creator of the universe. Read the passage from Daniel above. I certainly don't get the sense that Daniel was praying out of duty. You see, through prayer we can tap into His power, His might, and His supernatural creativity. What's more, we can come to know our God more intimately and deeply as we communicate with Him and listen as He speaks to us.

I like the way Herbert Lockyer describes prayer: "Is prayer not the desire, opportunity, and privilege of talking with God?" Desire. Opportunity. Privilege. Those three words form the foundation of a healthy perspective of prayer.

The Bible makes crystal clear the importance and significance of prayer. There are more than 650 prayers recorded in God's Word not including the Book of Psalms. There are also more than 450 answers to prayer! Indeed, there are examples of prayers for virtually every situation you face. As you look closely at biblical accounts, you will realize that people prayed in many different ways, and God's answers to those petitions were often surprising and unexpected.

So, prayer is not a duty or a discipline. It's a discovery into the very heart of God. When you pray, be ready for an adventure of a lifetime!

"Call to Me and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know" (Jeremiah 33:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate