To follow Jesus we must be focused on Jesus ~ David McGee


Acts 6:1
"And in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplied, there arose a murmuring of the Grecians against the Hebrews, because their widows were neglected in the daily ministration."
KJV
Life Lesson
Leave your ME at the door.
---------------------
Last night, Pastor Shawn talked about "God's Model for the Church" which led into Pastor Nick sharing about "The Supremacy of Love." It was a great combination because when the church operates according to God's model instead of according to man's model, love indeed becomes supreme in the church.
In Acts chapter 6, we see an interesting transaction between the Apostles and some disciples regarding a situation in the early church. The gist of the situation was that the Greek widows felt discriminated against and that special favor was being shown to the Jewish widows. The Apostles realized that they could not continue in the calling the Lord had given them and take care of the minutia of church affairs. The answer was to allow faithful men who had demonstrated their heart for God and love for others to be servant leaders over the people. But, what brought this situation to a head? People focused on themselves.
Many problems that creep up in the church are the result of our focus getting off God and being placed on self. When that happens, things get out of kilter in our following Jesus. We cannot follow Jesus and be focused on self. This is true individually, but also on a church wide basis. An inward focused church is a selfish church. To follow Jesus we must be focused on Jesus. When that happens, it's like a dam breaks allowing incredible works of love to flow unhindered in our lives. That, my friend, is God's model for the church, loving God and loving others.
Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving me. It was Your great love for me that kept You on the cross. In thought of that, I am humble. I admit, many times, I take my eyes off of You and focus on situations and circumstance around me. Give me the strength to draw my focus back to You. Empower me with a passion to share my love others. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Translate