Least Most: "At Least" ~ Michael James Stone

-excerpt from "Utmost with the Least Most"

               At Least


Some days I don't want to. You name it, whatever it is, there are just some days.......... I just don't want to.


Doesn't matter if it is good for me, or I should do it. 


Doesn't make a difference if I like to do it, or not. It really hasn't anything to do with what it is at all. It has to do with me. Some days I just don't want to do anything.


It's these kind of days God shows his great love for me (and you) by not "putting up with me", but loving me anyways. 


It goes something like this:


" Lord I am tired, I didn't sleep good., I know I should read my bible, pray, maybe read a devotional, (maybe write one) , but you know Father, some days I just don;t want to do this "Christian Stuff""


"Some days  Lord I don't want to be a Christian."


Of course you see the humor in it. The fact that I am talking to God about it, makes me a Christian. Not the way I feel or what I want or don't want to do. That changes daily, or with a cup of coffee, or by music, or even at times by God intervening. The fact Jesus is in me and I can talk to God about me, even when I don't feel like it, that is a Christian. Conversational with God.


I like this guy I read about in Acts. Seems he was minding his own business going about his day when God interrupts him. God says, I'm sending you Saul. He's blind and I want you to heal him.


Ya gotta love this guy. He doesn't say, Ok and does it.  He questions God, just like you and me: Are you sure Lord? 


I DON"T THINK SO, might have been my first response, but like God does to me, He tells the guy, Yeah, He is the guy killing Christians, but I got your back. I'll take care of it. I'm just telling you He's on his way to you and the rest is a done deal.


You got it, the guy was already included in the plan. Like it or not, God sent Saul to him. By the time Saul God there, this simple man of God was ready to take Saul and Let Paul see.


Are you like me? Blind to the situations and circumstances that God is sending your way? Blind till someone like this guy "helps" me to see. Do you see? Are you blind? Are you seeing the cirucmstances of Saul's past mistakes? Can you see Paul's eventual future?


No? Neither could the man really. 


Pastors and tools God uses (like this devotional) are the means God conspires to open your eyes to a World a whole lot bigger than you are. A world you cannot see or realize. 


You are in a VERY BIG PICTURE. One bigger than the "Greatest Show on Earth" and it is called the Universe. God has designed it so you are included in it. When he wants to, the spotlight is on you.


Sometimes you will be like the guy in Acts. Sometimes you're like Saul, just barely getting your eyes opened to  the real world out there.  Sometimes you are a new Christian in ministry being led around hand and foot till all your Old Scars and Blindness' are healed. Sometimes you don't feel like it.


But at least you are saved.
Or is that the Most?


I learned early on that God was leading me gently, kicking and screaming, by the nose, by hand and foot, by speaking softly, by scaring the hell out of me, by loving heaven into me, by people, places, things, and even direct communication. 


God lead me anyways and I am avoiding the ocean like a man afraid of Jaws. I don't want to add being led by the belly of whale, stomach of a fish, or indented with direction from a shark bite.


But At Least he was leading me., at least he never quits leading me.


You know he is the doing the same with you. That you know.


At least is the way I talk to God sometimes as I consider all the days and all the ways the Spirit of God chooses to move me and use me.


How so? 


Well, when I feel like I don't want to do anything or be a Christian, I just go to talk to God and He listens to me. I Pray this way:


"Lord, at least I am here."  


Because I am talking to Him at those moments he can work with that and use, fill, heal or change me. At least so far he as done that for me.


When you are at your best, you are probably at your least.


Today, at least, talk to God about it.


It's the least you can do, and God may say the best.















Translate