What does it mean to work out one’s salvation?~Jon Courson











Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation ...
Philippians 2:12
In addition to having a mind submitted to the will of the Father, Paul says that another key to joy is to work out your salvation. Notice he doesn’t say, ‘Work for your salvation’, or ‘Work on your salvation.’ He says, ‘Work out your salvation.’

What does it mean to work out one’s salvation? It’s like going to the YMCA — it means you exercise it and strengthen it.

Notice also that Paul says we are to work out our own salvation ...

What if Peter had said that day, ‘Hey guys, look at me. I’m walking on water. You all should walk on water. Come on, guys. Get it together. Step out. Follow me. You can do it. Test your faith’?

We’ve all heard sermons along those lines, and I understand the intention, but they’re terribly flawed. Peter walked on water not because he had faith. Peter walked on water because Jesus said, ‘Come.’ Jesus didn’t tell James or John, Andrew or Bartholomew to come. The language is clear that His command was given to Peter singularly (Matthew 14).

Work out your own salvation. What’s God working in your heart? What’s He calling you to do?

In the course of a single evening, I read two outstanding books by two good Christian brothers. One said Christians should move into the city in order to minister to the multitudes. The other said Christians should move out of the city, as did the desert fathers. Unable to reconcile the two, I was troubled until the Lord spoke to my heart saying, ‘Jon, what have I called you to do? What have I placed on your heart? I am the One Who cared for the poor, and this brother is showing that side of Me. I’m also the One Who moved to a solitary place and communed with the Father, and the other brother is showing that side. Let every brother reflect that which I have made clear to him.’

Translate