Just like Paul, we can’t work in our own strength.~Mark Balmer

Compelled by the Spirit

Posted:

Based on “Under HIS Influence – Empowered”


by Pastor Mark Balmer; 8/22-23/09,

Message #MB386;


Daily Devotional #5 - “Compelled by the Spirit”

Preparing the Soil (Introduction):


Have you ever read a particular verse many times, yet never read the passages before or after? Then as you read a passage, not realizing the very verse that you almost have memorized is in that passage, the verse just leaps off the page and imparts a whole new meaning? This is exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago during my Bible study. I couldn’t wait for God’s timing to share it with you.


Planting and Watering the Seed (Growth):


From Miletus, Paul sent to Ephesus for the elders of the church. When they arrived, he said to them: “You know how I lived the whole time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. I served the Lord with great humility and with tears, although I was severely tested by the plots of the Jews. You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house.


I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus. And now, compelled by the Spirit, I am going to Jerusalem, not knowing that will happen to me there. I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace. (Acts 20:17-24)


Paul was running a race; the race mattered so much to him that his life was worth nothing. The task before him was simple— to testify to the Gospel of God’s grace.


And not just to Jews, but also to the Greeks, the Gentiles. Now, I have read and heard the last verse in this passage a million times, but it is the verse before it that made his race come alive. Paul was severely plotted against by the Jews, so he was already facing opposition. But here’s the kicker: compelled by the Spirit, he pressed on, not knowing what would happen when he arrived in Jerusalem.


The only thing that Paul knew was that in every city would be prison and hardship, as the Holy Spirit had warned him. Did that matter to Paul? Did he give up the race that God had given him? No, he pressed on. He had a power that was greater than his ability. Paul had the power of the Holy Spirit working inside of him so that every time he faced hardship or prison, he was able to press on toward the goal God had set before him. Also, notice that the race Paul was in wasn’t for self.


It wasn’t to gain personal power, position within the church among the elders, or among his circle of friends. His race and desire was for the lost, those that mattered to God. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, Paul made huge impacts to change the world around him, both in the days of his life and even today.

Harvesting the Crop (Action/Response): Isn’t God’s Word amazing?


I challenge you today to think and pray about what compels you to share with others about Jesus Christ.


Is it a feeling of having to because it’s the right thing to do, a remembrance that it is one of CCM’s 5 C’s, or is it because you are compelled by the Holy Spirit? Just like Paul, we can’t work in our own strength.


For if we do, when we face hardships we will get burdened down, overwhelmed, and our life and salvation eventually will seem more important than the salvation of others. I am so thankful that we can read about Paul and challenge ourselves to be “Under the Influence” of the Holy Spirit, so we can run the race that God has given each of us, declare repentance and faith, and testify to God’s grace.

Cultivating (Additional Reading): Acts 1:8; 2 Timothy 4:1-8

ws

Translate