Nothing Left~Mark Balmer


Nothing Left

Posted:

Based on “iServe” by Pastor Dean Corns; 7/25-26/09,

Message #DC129;


Daily Devotional #2 - “Nothing Left”


Preparing the Soil (Introduction): One of my favorite quotes is from Erma Bombeck: “When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, “I used everything you gave me.” Every time I read this quote I have to stop and ask myself, am I really using every bit of my natural talent, as well as all the spiritual gifts that God has given me for Him? I wish that I could always say yes, but there are many times when the answer has to be no.


Planting and Watering the Seed (Growth): My husband and I recently went to our niece’s 8th birthday party. She couldn’t wait to open her gifts. Some packages were small, while others were large. Some were in boxes wrapped with paper, while others were in gift bags. To my niece, it didn’t matter how the package came, but that it was a gift just for her. There was an excitement and an anticipation as to what could be inside. There is nothing better than to see the true joy of a child receiving a gift they love. Their face lights up with a huge smile, followed by a squeal or shout of delight, and then the joy of showing off their newfound treasure. God gives each one of us a gift, a treasure: A unique gift specifically for us. It was He who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers…(Ephesians 4:11) When we are given our gift we should light up, smile, and squeal or shout with delight for what He has given us. In turn, we should be so overjoyed that we can’t help but share it with others. However, just as a child, if we don’t use the gift, over time the joy of the gift starts to fade. The gift is put on the back shelf, and we start to do our own thing, completely forgetting about the gift that we once loved so much. It is in those moments that I have to stop and say, “No I am not using everything God has given me.” In fact, I have to find my gift, dust it off, and remind myself why God has given it to me. …to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up…(Ephesians 4:12) If I am not using the gift God has given me, then the body of Christ is not being built up, and, ultimately, God is not given the glory. So why does God give gifts? Not only do the gifts He gives build and edify the body of Christ, but they also build and mature us personally as well. After all, we are all part of the body of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into Him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. (Ephesians 4:14-16)


Harvesting the Crop (Action/Response): Are you using every talent and gift God has given you? Are you so excited about the gift God has given you that you can’t help but share it with others? My prayer today is that you take a moment and look at what God has given you, both physically and spiritually. Think about how you are serving. Does it match with your gifts? Are you still exclaiming with delight over the gift He has given you? If you aren’t serving, I encourage you to think about how you can get involved so that when you stand before God you will have nothing left to give, because you already used all you had for Him.


Cultivating (Additional Reading): Ephesians 4:1-16

Translate