The Holy Spirit as Strengthener and Standby~Joyce Meyer


The Holy Spirit as Strengthener and Standby

July 29

And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever.
John 14:16

"Standby" has a special meaning and application to us in this modern age. We are all aware of airline passengers who travel "standby," meaning that they stand by the airline ticket counter waiting to step up and claim a seat on the first available flight. The Lord used this scene to teach me about the Holy Spirit as our Standby, One Who stands by us at all times waiting for the first available opportunity to jump in and give us the help and strength we need—which is why He is also called our Helper, our Strengthener.

I have learned that one of the most spiritual prayers we can offer is the one-word prayer, "Help!" I can't tell you how many times a week I will stop and cry out to God, "Help me, Lord, strengthen me. I know You are here because the Bible promises me that You are always standing by me to help me and strengthen me in every situation of life." Sometimes when I am preaching and teaching day after day, night after night, I get so worn out I just have to pray, "Lord, help me, I need Your strength."

There have been times when I have led seven meetings in four days. Often I get so tired that I have to remind myself that my help comes from the Lord and cry out to Him, claiming His promise that those who wait upon Him will renew their strength (See Psalm 121:2 and Isaiah 40:31). In such moments, I always receive the help and strength I need to finish the work that God has given me to do.

Translate