DailyDevotionswithJackVanImpe: "THY WILL BE DONE"

THY WILL BE DONE

MEMORY VERSE: He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done(Matthew 26:42).

The four most difficult words to say are these: "THY WILL BE DONE." They are a declaration of complete submission to the will of another. Our stubborn will does not surrender easily.

Perhaps the reason we have so much trouble giving in to God's will is our fear that He will give us some task that we will not enjoy or that He will send us to some place that is not pleasant. We forget that God always gives His best to those who leave the choice with Him.

Dr. James M. Gray wrote: "I once saw a painting of a large boat laden with cattle that were being ferried across an angry, swollen river in time of storm. The artist had so cleverly pictured the dark, threatening clouds and the play of the treacherous, jagged lightning I instantly concluded that the freight of the poor dumb cattle was marked for destruction. But the title of the painting was simply 'Changing Pasture.' Many times we imagine that God's plans mean disaster and affliction, but He is only 'changing pastures' for our good and the good of others."

Hudson Taylor shared some lessons He had learned about submitting to God's will. He said, "I am no longer anxious about anything, as I realize the Lord is able to carry out His will, and His will is mine. It makes no matter where He places me, or how. That is rather for Him to consider than for me; for in the easiest positions He must give me His grace, and in the most difficult, His grace is sufficient."

Here then is a safe prayer: "THY WILL BE DONE."

Translate