JonCourson: “All men shall know you are My disciples,”

January 26
 
  And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day. And there was no day like that before it or after it, that the LORD hearkened unto the voice of a man: for the LORD fought for Israel.  
  Joshua 10:13-14  
 
Do you ever come to the end of a day feeling frustrated, tense, or anxious because the day slipped away before you could accomplish even half of the things you intended to do? Does it ever seem to you like there’s just not enough “day” in your day? There are so many obligations and responsibilities, opportunities and activities that the day seems to dissipate. And sometimes that can fill us with a great degree of frustration.

Such was not the case with Joshua. With the day elongated, he was able to do what the Lord commanded him to do. How? He spoke to the sun. We can do the same. In our world, to be busy is to be important. But such is not the case in God’s economy. To Him, busyness is more of a curse than an asset. That is why Jesus says, “My burden is easy and My load is light. Come unto Me all that are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Learn of Me and you will find rest in your soul” (see Matthew 11:28-30). Therefore, if, like Joshua, you and I speak to the Son, things will stand still because He’ll whisper in our ear, “Now that you’ve spent a bit of time with Me, talked things over, made confession of sin, read some Scripture, here’s a couple things I want you to do today . . .” 

We waste so much time trying to figure out what we should do next. And when we don’t get to it, we feel condemned about it. In reality, the decision ought to have been made early in the day. I’m not saying there’s no room for flexibility, but for the most part, I have discovered that the real key is to say early in the day, “Lord, what do You want me to do? By Your grace and with Your help, that’s what I’ll do.” 

And as I do those things, as I come to the end of the day, I realize the sun has indeed stood still. Therefore, like Jesus, I’m able to say, “Father, I’ve finished the work You gave me to do” (see John 17:4). The tensions disappear; the burdens dissipate; and I find myself living a life of serenity and tranquility to a much greater degree.

What God gives us to do is doable. Do what our Greater-than-Joshua did day by day. Before the day begins, find a quiet place and have a quiet time with a quiet heart. Let God direct your day: you will have fewer decisions to make and you’ll be victorious in a whole new way.

Posted via email from ..................The Last Call Digest

Translate