Virtue* The Wind -cathe laurie

You know well enough how the wind blows this way and that. You hear it rustling through the trees, but you have no idea where it comes from or where it is headed next. That is the way it is with everyone “born from above” by the Spirit.

—John 3:7–8 (THE MESSAGE)

I love to watch the wind blowing at night through big leafy trees. It rustles leaves and shakes branches. It’s the unseen hand that tips hats off heads unexpectedly and sends them rolling down the street, or playfully lifts and tugs at kites, sending them soaring.

Santa Ana winds blow hot from the desert east of us, unleashing fires that destroy the dry hills in Southern California. And even though the power of wind can be harnessed and turned to electricity, it is not something we can manufacture.

The Lord Jesus used the wind as an illustration to explain to Nicodemus that we cannot see the Spirit of God, nor can we control Him. I imagine this brilliant Pharisee was able live most of his life “in control.” He had the law, precepts, and rules to govern every aspect of life imaginable.

But then he was confronted with the teachings of Christ and a revolutionary thought occurred to him: What if there is something I am missing here? All my life I have kept the rules to the best of my ability, but there is something missing.

I have wanted to be in control of many things, believe me. Before I became a Christian, I thought I was in control. But as a believer, I have hoped to let God be in charge.

I am not a control freak, but I admit that many times I have tried more than gentle persuasion and pressure to drag things my way. But the Holy Spirit will have none of this.

It has been said, “you cannot control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.” He is God, I must adjust my sail, and it is my desire, my duty, to let Him lead . . .

It is not easy for our nature to trust what we can see to One we cannot see. The Spirit of God changes and rearranges things in a way that isn’t always to our immediate liking, but ultimately, finally, it will be.

Let’s not miss this truth today. He is in control and we can trust the changes He brings to be good ones!

Nicodemus couldn’t understand this concept, and asked, “How can these things be?” Jesus marveled at this statement of Nicodemus, asking, “You are the teacher in Israel and you don’t know these things?”

Sometimes, I wonder if the Spirit of God sometimes sighs and says, “I have brought you this far and still you don’t know these things?”

What Jesus wanted Nicodemus, and us, to realize is this: The life that pleases God is a life that is begun, maintained, and controlled by the Holy Spirit. And it begins with, and ends, with faith.

Can you trust Him? Really, can you?

Try this out: bring to your mind whatever situations concern you today, and say out loud to your Heavenly Father, “I trust You.” Now, say it again. “I trust You.”

Good. When you get the urge to reach over and grab the wheel of life and tug it your way, instead of His, stop and say it loud enough that you can hear yourself say, “I trust you!” Now, let Him continue to bring you on this journey, with your cooperation.

Devotions with Emotion

Michael James Stone

Fair Use Notice

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, any copyrighted work herein is archived under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in reviewing the included information for personal use, non-profit research and educational purposes only.

Jesus  is Coming Very Soon.

“CLASSIC CHRISTIAN POSTS WILL NO LONGER BE POSTED WITH LAST CALL.”

They can still be found Mon-Fri here at The Classic Christian and Michael James Stone

­CLASSIC CHRISTIAN LINEUP

“My Prayer”

Daily Light

One Year Bible Blog

A.W.Tozer

Streams in the Desert

My Utmost for His Highest

God Calling

Spurgeon

Tomorrow we will post the Last Call Lineup

Recommended for Scriptural Accuracy and Integrity

The Old Time Gospel     Sermon Index   One Year Bible Blog  

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.

The material is being made available in an effort to understand scripture, news, technology and society especially as it relates to God and Jesus. It is specifically for non-profit research and educational purposes only. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. This is a completely non-commercial site for private personal use. No fee is charged, and no money is made off of the operation of this site. Nor is any implied reciprocal gratuities implied or construed.

Posted via email from The Last Call Digest

Translate