The pain of intimacy ~ Mike MacIntosh

No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, Who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13

One night I was present as a police chaplain when a shooting incident occurred. A man had taken a hostage at gunpoint and was holed up in an apartment. I tried to talk with the man for two hours to reason with him and facilitate a peaceful resolution to the conflict. Eventually, tensions escalated and the man threatened the police officers. It looked as if he would kill his hostage. So the SWAT team stormed in and fatally shot the gunman. A few hours later, I had the daunting task of talking with the man's widow.

The next day, I received even more terrible news. My daughter told me that the son of dear friends of mine had just been killed in an auto accident along with two other young men. I had to call the parents, and then drive several hours to meet with my friend and the parents of the other victims. That day I went from one shock to another.

Nine weeks went by before I got a full night's sleep. The devil -- the accuser -- was tormenting me. But I kept on praying, and in time I began to see things differently. I thought about all of the parents with children lying in the hospital. I thought of all the people who were suffering physical abuse, financial ruin, and broken relationships. I realized that there were many people going through much more pain than I was.

Through prayer and an ongoing relationship with God, He helps us put things into proper perspective. Our heavenly Father promised that He will not allow anything into our lives that will destroy us. Pain and hardship are intended to make us stronger, to humble us, to make us more tenderhearted and gentle towards others. That's what happened to me during that agonizing period of my life. Though it was a time of great struggle, my faith grew stronger, and my relationship with God grew deeper.

This is the lesson that is available to us: as we deepen our intimacy with God through prayer, we grow. We are transformed into the likeness of His Son, Jesus Christ.

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord (2 Corinthians 3:18).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate