Isaiah 62:6-65:25 ~ Philippians 2:19-3:3 ~ Psalm 73:1-28 ~ Proverbs 24:13-14 ~ One Year Bible Blog


Isaiah 62:6-65:25 ~ Philippians 2:19-3:3 ~ Psalm 73:1-28 ~ Proverbs 24:13-14
~ Click here to read today's Scripture on BibleGateway.com ~
~ Listen to today's Scripture on DailyAudioBible.com (podcast) or OneYearAudioBible.org ~

Fall! And we're 3/4ths of the way through the Bible! There is something about the season of Fall and the One Year Bible readings that I just love. I think it is in part because we start to move through several Epistles in the New Testament quickly. While we do move through these Epistles in short order – and many of them are just a few chapters – please don’t brush over them too quickly. There are so many amazing teachings about our Christian faith and how our lives should be transformed as disciples of Jesus’ in these Epistles. Don’t miss these teachings! Additionally, we’re coming up to some great books in the Old Testament during this season of Fall with Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel and Daniel on deck. Last but not least, maybe I love the season of Fall and our One Year Bible readings because we have read through 3/4ths of the Bible this year and we’re now in the last 1/4th of our readings. Maybe I love the fact that we are in the "home-stretch" of our One Year Bible readings. I do want to congratulate each of you for making it this far. Press on toward the finish line here in these last 3 months! Yay God for the season of Fall! (and for those of you participating in the One Year Bible readings in the southern hemisphere – Yay God for Spring! :)

Old Testament - Today in Isaiah chapter 63 we read about God's judgment against his enemies. It is interesting dialogue in verses 1 through 3: ""It is I, the LORD, announcing your salvation! It is I, the LORD, who is mighty to save!" Why are your clothes so red, as if you have been treading out grapes? "I have trodden the winepress alone; no one was there to help me. In my anger I have trampled my enemies as if they were grapes. In my fury I have trampled my foes. It is their blood that has stained my clothes."

Isa_63_3_treading_the_winepress_1

Isaiah chapter 64 verses 5 through 7 stood out to me as a stark reminder of why Jesus came into our world as our Savior eight centuries after this was written by Isaiah - and why we still need Jesus today as our Savior... - "But we are not godly. We are constant sinners, so your anger is heavy on us. How can people like us be saved? We are all infected and impure with sin. When we proudly display our righteous deeds, we find they are but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall. And our sins, like the wind, sweep us away. Yet no one calls on your name or pleads with you for mercy. Therefore, you have turned away from us and turned us over to our sins." Do these verses remind you of your need for Jesus? Has Jesus saved you from your constant sinning? Have you been saved from the "infection" of sin? This is great wording in these verses by Isaiah - we are all "infected" with sin... praise God that Jesus saves us from this infection! C.S. Lewis says this about Christianity being a "good infection" -

Cslewis

Bible.org's commentary on today's readings in Isaiah chapter 65 titled "The Lord's Answer: Mercy for Israel" is at this link.

New Testament - Philippians chapter 3 verse 3 is a great teaching from Paul - "For we who worship God in the Spirit are the only ones who are truly circumcised. We put no confidence in human effort. Instead, we boast about what Christ Jesus has done for us." How do you worship God? Do you worship in the Spirit? Do you put no confidence in your own human efforts? Do you today boast to others about what Jesus Christ has done for you?

Worshipinthespirit

Bible.org's commentary on today's readings in Philippians chapter 2 titled "A Few Good Men" is at this link.

Psalms - Wow... Psalm 73 today is amazing! I love it. I actually had lunch with a good friend who said to me verse 13 almost verbatim - "Was it for nothing that I kept my heart pure and kept myself from doing wrong?" It was so sad for me to hear him say this... but he obviously is not alone. The Psalmist thought this too, and I imagine each of us might feel like this is at times. Praise God that the Psalmist rallies, as hopefully do we, in verse 23 - "Yet I still belong to you; you are holding my right hand." And then I absolutely love where he goes with verse 26 - "My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." I can quickly think of people in our world today where this verse 26 is so applicable... let us pray that those in time of failing health and spirit have God remain the strength of their heart!

Bible.org's commentary on today's readings in Psalm 73 titled "Is Your Spiritual Vision 20/20?" is at this link.

Proverbs - I like Proverbs 24 verse 14 a lot to day - "Wisdom is sweet to your soul. If you find it, you will have a bright future, and your hopes will not be cut short." I don't know about you, but I want wisdom. I want a bright future with God. I don't want my hopes to be cut short. I want to be with God forever. I believe the Bible is the place I will find the wisdom I so crave. I do not think there is really anything else that will provide the True wisdom that I so desperately crave here on this material earth other than the Bible... What about you? Do you crave wisdom? Do you believe that wisdom is sweet to your soul? What out there will give you more wisdom than the Bible? Do you look forward to finding wisdom in the Bible today, tomorrow, and every day into your golden years?

Biblewomanreading

YouTube - Today's readings in Isaiah 63 verse 1 remind me of the Hillsong song "Mighty to Save:"


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08YZF87OBQ

Please join us in memorizing and meditating on a verse of Scripture this week: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21 (NIV)

Comments from You: What verses or insights stand out to you from today's readings? Please post up by clicking on the "Comments" link below!

Grace, love, peace, and joy!
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate