you are who I say you are when you’re not around ~ Jon Courson








As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ; Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.
Colossians 1:7-8
I like Epaphras. He goes around speaking good things. He says, ‘I have good news about great things happening with those guys in Colosse.’

I want to be like Epaphras — talking about how great someone is behind his or her back, for not only does this please the Lord, but it has an impact on me as well.

How? To a very real degree, you are who I say you are when you’re not around. You see, if all of you leave here tonight and, on your way home, talk about what an idiot I am, I will become that person to you the next time we meet. Talk negatively about me, and, even if those things are not totally true, that’s what I will become in your sight.

On the other hand, if you speak well of a person behind his back, that is the way you will tend to view him. The next time you see him, you will approach him with an entirely different mindset than if you had come down on him.

The power of words is awesome. For that reason, we must be very careful. Gossip good stuff. That’s what Epaphras did

Translate