Least Most: "The Most Impact" Michael James Stone

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2009

-excerpt from Utmost with the Least Most: "The Most Impact" Michael James Stone

Sometimes the very least I can do seems to have the most impact.

I like to visit church's, I like to sing out loud, I like to smile and I like to encourage.

Sometimes I just don't know how.

I know in the hospital when I lay in bed for weeks at a time I really didn't want to talk to anybody. No one visited me so that was easy until a "student nurse" came by my bed and noticed the little placard at the foot of my Bed that usually had abbreviations for Patient Care like NPO etc.

Mine I had made a little sign that said P. P. Professional Patient for all the times I gave these long boring details of How sick I was to learning doctors and practcing nurses.

One night, a suffering one for me, one student nurse walked in from nowhere and sat down by my bed and grabbed my hand and held it.

I literally about jumbed out of my skin as no one, except in Professional Medicine mode, ever "touched me" and I, in like manner as professional patient mode, never let that touch my heart.

This young woman had my hand and I in my pain and silent suffering let loose and sobbed for the next hour uncontrollably...., not a word was said. Eventually she let go of my hand and left, I never saw her again.

About a month or two later I was down in the Rec Room of the Veterans Hospital I was in and a song came on by Don Francisco :

I know what you've been hearing
I've seen you hide your fear
Embarrassed by your weaknesses
Afraid to let Me near
I wish you knew how much
I long for you to understand
No matter what may happen, child
I'll never let go of your hand

I know you've been forsaken
By all you've known before
When you failed their expectations
They frowned and closed the door
But even though your heart itself
Should lose the will to stand
No matter what may happen, child
I'll never let go of your hand

The life that I have given you
No one can take away
I've sealed it with my Spirit, Blood and Word
The everlasting Father
Has made His covenant with you
And He's stronger than the world you've seen and heard

So don't you fear to show them
All the love I have for you
I'll be with you everywhere
In everything you do
And even if you do it wrong
And miss the joy I've planned
I'll never, never let go of your hand

The life that I have given you
No one can take away
I've sealed it with my Spirit, Blood and Word
The everlasting Father
Has made His covenant with you
And He's stronger than the world you've seen and heard

So don't you fear to show them
All the love I have for you
I'll be with you everywhere
In everything you do
And even if you do it wrong
And miss the joy I've planned
I'll never, never let go of your hand
I'll never let go of your hand

I never saw the nurse again. I never had family or church visit me in frequent times I was hospitalized and I was never bitter because I was, after all, a "professional patient". I knew they just did't know what to do.

But can I let you in on a secret?

The least you can do may be the best thing God can use to touch someone like me,
or anyone else in need.

Jesus met me in my need by the holding of my hand from a stranger I did not know,
but he confirmed it was from Him by a means I know very well.

He spoke to me,

No matter what may happen, child
I'll never let go of your hand

Michael James Stone

Translate