Do not find excuses for your wrong doing.~David McGee


Chronicles 10:2-3

"Then the Philistines followed hard after Saul and his sons. And the Philistines killed Jonathan, Abinadab, and Malchishua, Saul's sons."
NKJV

Life Lesson

Do not find excuses for your wrong doing.

---------------------

The books of 1 & 2 Samuel and 1 & 2 Chronicles parallel one another. It has been well observed that 1 & 2 Samuel are man's perspective of these events while 1 & 2 Chronicles are God's perspective. Most of the book of 1 Samuel (man's perspective) chronicles the life of Saul, but in 1 Chronicles (God's perspective) the life of Saul takes up just one chapter. Now, Saul was the first king of Israel. In man's eyes he was an important man, but not in God's eyes. When we first meet Saul in 1 Samuel, he is hunting after his father's donkeys, which he had lost. That is not a good indication of Saul's character. Later on in 1 Samuel 13, we see Saul offering a burnt offering on his own.

1 Samuel 13:11-12 "And Samuel said, "'What have you done?'" Saul said, "When I saw that the people were scattered from me, and that you did not come within the days appointed, and that the Philistines gathered together at Michmash, then I said, 'The Philistines will now come down on me at Gilgal, and I have not made supplication to the LORD.' Therefore I felt compelled, and offered a burnt offering." NKJV

Saul is coming up with excuses and throwing blame for what he did wrong. He was not a priest and sinned by offering the sacrifice on his own. When Samuel confronts Saul about it, he begins making excuses.

We are all fallen people. When we are approached with our own wrong doing, our first instinct is to cast blame and find excuses. How often do our apologies include reasons (because) and excuses (but)? Friend, when you mess up and need to apologize, just apologize. Don't take from your apology by adding anything to it. Don't try to find excuses for your wrong doing.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for loving me. Lord, I need Your forgiveness. Thank You for forgiving me. Please stop me when I try to make excuses for my sins, and help me to be quick to apologize to others. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Living to tell what He died to say,
Pastor David McGee
Senior Pastor
Calvary Chapel of the Triad
reachthetriad.com
twitter.com/ccot

Translate