DAILY DEVOTIONS: "Murmuring" -Jon Courson


DAILY DEVOTIONS
Read it. Live it. Share it. Tag it.

"Honoring God in the Morning"


#DAILYDEVOTIONS
#LIFESTYLEOFINSPIRATION
#INTHEMORNING


Then came the children of Israel, even the whole congregation, into the desert of Zin in the first month: and the people abode in Kadesh; and Miriam died there, and was buried there.

And there was no water for the congregation: and they gathered themselves together against Moses and against Aaron.

And the people chode with Moses, and spake, saying, Would God that we had died when our brethren died before the LORD!

And why have ye brought up the congregation of the LORD into this wilderness, that we and our cattle should die there?

And wherefore have ye made us to come up out of Egypt, to bring us in unto this evil place? it is no place of seed, or of figs, or vines, or of pomegranates; neither is there any water to drink.
Numbers 20:1–5
 
Look at what the children of Israel said when they were here at Kadesh thirty-eight years earlier . . .

And all the children of Israel murmured against Moses and against Aaron: and the whole congregation said unto them, Would God that we had died in the land of Egypt! or would God we had died in this wilderness!

And wherefore hath the LORD brought us unto this land, to fall by the sword, that our wives and our children should be a prey? were it not better for us to return into Egypt? - Numbers 14:2–3

This sobers me because I realize it is possible for a man or congregation to murmur or complain in the same way we murmured or complained a generation earlier.

When we’re younger, we think we’ll outgrow certain tendencies. “When I’m seventy, I’m going to be a patriarch,” we tell ourselves. “My family will highly esteem me. People will want to listen to me. Sure, I’m busy now at age thirty-five or forty. But when I’m seventy, I’ll have made a mark spiritually.”

Time itself does not make one mature. The only way we will be wise at age seventy is to make wise decisions at age forty.

 You’re making that choice by studying the Word right now, for God has determined that people grow in wisdom by taking heed to His Word chapter by chapter, verse by verse. How I pray that if the Lord tarries, I will not be as foolish at age seventy as I am now. “Lord,” I pray, “deepen me.”

How does that happen? 

By spending time in and obeying the Word.

Translate