JonCourson: The Book of Joshua illustrates what it means to move into and live out the Spirit-filled life.

 

February 2

 
There was also a lot for the tribe of Manasseh; for he was the firstborn of Joseph . . .
Joshua 17:1
 
Joshua 16 detailed the inheritance given to Joseph’s second son, Ephraim. Here in chapter 17, we see the inheritance given to Manasseh, his firstborn son. 

The Book of Joshua illustrates what it means to move into and live out the Spirit-filled life. The people of Israel were set free from bondage in Egypt the night the blood was placed on the doorposts of their homes. So too, we were set free from bondage to the world by the blood of the Lamb on the doorposts of our hearts. 

After they were set free, the people of Israel made their way to the Red Sea, where they were baptized when the waters parted (1 Corinthians 10:2). So too, the baptism of believers signifies death and resurrection to a whole new way of living. 

When their faith faltered shortly thereafter, the Israelites found themselves wandering in the wilderness for an entire generation - approximately forty years.

That can happen to you and me as well. We’re born again, baptized in water, but then we get distracted. Oh, we’re still Christians, but we’re wandering in the wilderness, swatting flies, and eating dust. Things are dry, not like they used to be, not like they’re supposed to be. We wander and we wonder sometimes year after year until, like the Israelites, we come to a second baptism - the Jordan River, which speaks of the baptism in the Spirit. 

A new generation came to those waters, and as they obeyed the command of the Lord to put the soles of their feet into the water, they entered into the Promised Land. So too, when you and I engage our souls and say, “Lord, I want to step out. I want to press in. I want to take hold of all You have for me,” a new dimension of spiritual life begins. The baptism in the Spirit transforms those who were wandering and weak into those who are dynamic and fruitful. 

Maybe you’re at the point where you’re saying, “Lord, I love You, but I’m tired of the dryness of my soul. I’m tired of wandering around aimlessly. I want You to take control. I want to see Your Spirit come upon me and flow through me. I’m going to do whatever You tell me to do. I’m going to step out. I’m going to take a risk and begin to press in to what You say is available for me this very day.” 

As you receive by faith the empowering of the Spirit, you enter into the Promised Land - a Land where there are battles to fight and where there are wars to wage - but also a Land of milk, honey, and grapes the size of bowling balls.

Posted via email from ..................The Last Call Digest

Translate