MikeMacintosh: "stress and anxiety"


 

For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; My vitality was turned into the drought of summer.
Psalm 32:4

In our fast-paced society, we have seen a tremendous rise in stress and anxiety. In the United States, billions of dollars are spent on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs that help replenish the natural serotonin that our brains need to give us a feeling of well-being. Yet we can turn to the Scriptures and find that God will heal our weary souls if we will just seek Him:

Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God (Psalm 42:11).

If I were your doctor and you came to me for advice on how to handle stress and anxiety, I would give you a prescription to pray more and read more of God's Word so that you would find peace.

The psalmist cries out to God: "My soul melts from heaviness; strengthen me according to your word" (Psalm 119:28). How simple it is to see the payoff we personally receive from prayer when we balance it with the Holy Scriptures. Our souls can be filled with the violence and turmoil of television, or they can be filled with the love and grace of our God. We get to choose how to handle the stress of our souls.

As you fall in love with prayer, God's Holy Spirit will fill you to overflowing with the rest and peace your soul needs and desires. Do not let the pressures of life beat you down until you think you are worthless and invaluable. That is a lie of the devil. Jesus gives us this assurance:

Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows (Matthew 10:29-31).

Do not lose sight of the fact that God has His eye on the sparrow, and if that is so, how much more are His eyes on you?


Posted via email from ..................The Last Call Digest

Translate