Our Great Pursuit ~ Bob Caldwell











Our Great Pursuit

Psalm 119:131 I opened my mouth and panted, For I longed for Your commandments.

The half-hearted possess very little of what could become great and mighty spiritual riches. Their resulting spiritual poverty, however, can be blamed upon no one other than themselves. For the psalmist, it is clear why he had such a rich result from his experience with God's Word. It was his passion.

He had become completely convinced that the scriptures were a literal goldmine of spiritual riches. His life reflected that conclusion. This is why he panted and longed for God's Word. This is why he searched for the truth within each statement of scripture. For him, meditating on God's Word was the wisest use of his time. He knew that if his daily actions were guided by the light of truth, whatever he put his hands and mind to do would prosper.

For those who earnestly pursue this path of discovery, it soon begins to fuel their passion more and more for God's Word. The fruit we experience calls us to discover more and more of the gold in God's Word.

In our relationships, our finances, our jobs, or our mental well being we will see God's blessing. The same is true in our battle with sin. Sin's grip is progressively loosened as we reshape our values and our mindset to what is true. May we truly see the reasoning behind the psalmist's statement, "I rise before the dawning of morning and cry for help" (v. 147).

And those who have little expectation of God or half-heartedly seek the promises of His Word will reap what they have sown: very little.

No longer blame God, your pastor, your spouse, or anyone else for your own low level of spiritual life. Look to your own heart. Search out where your hope and passions are directed. Then look to the wealth only found in God and His Word. See it, experience it, and then let the passion be fueled as you too experience what alone God can do through the wisdom and truth of His timeless Word.


Psalms 119:129-176 PE

129 Your testimonies are wonderful;
Therefore my soul keeps them.

130 The entrance of Your words gives light;
It gives understanding to the simple.

131 I opened my mouth and panted,
For I longed for Your commandments.

132 Look upon me and be merciful to me,
As Your custom is toward those who love Your name.

133 Direct my steps by Your word,
And let no iniquity have dominion over me.

134 Redeem me from the oppression of man,
That I may keep Your precepts.

135 Make Your face shine upon Your servant,
And teach me Your statutes.

136 Rivers of water run down from my eyes,
Because men do not keep Your law.

TSADDE

137 Righteous are You, O LORD,
And upright are Your judgments.

138 Your testimonies, which You have commanded,
Are righteous and very faithful.

139 My zeal has consumed me,
Because my enemies have forgotten Your words.

140 Your word is very pure;
Therefore Your servant loves it.

141 I am small and despised,
Yet I do not forget Your precepts.

142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness,
And Your law is truth.

143 Trouble and anguish have overtaken me,
Yet Your commandments are my delights.

144 The righteousness of Your testimonies is everlasting;
Give me understanding, and I shall live.

QOPH

145 I cry out with my whole heart;
Hear me, O LORD!
I will keep Your statutes.

146 I cry out to You;
Save me, and I will keep Your testimonies.

147 I rise before the dawning of the morning,
And cry for help;
I hope in Your word.

148 My eyes are awake through the night watches,
That I may meditate on Your word.

149 Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness;
O LORD, revive me according to Your justice.

150 They draw near who follow after wickedness;
They are far from Your law.

151 You are near, O LORD,
And all Your commandments are truth.

152 Concerning Your testimonies,
I have known of old that You have founded them forever.

RESH

153 Consider my affliction and deliver me,
For I do not forget Your law.

154 Plead my cause and redeem me;
Revive me according to Your word.

155 Salvation is far from the wicked,
For they do not seek Your statutes.

156 Great are Your tender mercies, O LORD;
Revive me according to Your judgments.

157 Many are my persecutors and my enemies,
Yet I do not turn from Your testimonies.

158 I see the treacherous, and am disgusted,
Because they do not keep Your word.

159 Consider how I love Your precepts;
Revive me, O LORD, according to Your lovingkindness.

160 The entirety of Your word is truth,
And every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever.

SHIN

161 Princes persecute me without a cause,
But my heart stands in awe of Your word.

162 I rejoice at Your word
As one who finds great treasure.

163 I hate and abhor lying,
But I love Your law.

164 Seven times a day I praise You,
Because of Your righteous judgments.

165 Great peace have those who love Your law,
And nothing causes them to stumble.

166 LORD, I hope for Your salvation,
And I do Your commandments.

167 My soul keeps Your testimonies,
And I love them exceedingly.

168 I keep Your precepts and Your testimonies,
For all my ways are before You.

TAU

169 Let my cry come before You, O LORD;
Give me understanding according to Your word.

170 Let my supplication come before You;
Deliver me according to Your word.

171 My lips shall utter praise,
For You teach me Your statutes.

172 My tongue shall speak of Your word,
For all Your commandments are righteousness.

173 Let Your hand become my help,
For I have chosen Your precepts.

174 I long for Your salvation, O LORD,
And Your law is my delight.

175 Let my soul live, and it shall praise You;
And let Your judgments help me.

176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep;
Seek Your servant,
For I do not forget Your commandments.


Psalms 119:129-176

v. 130 entrance – doorway, portal or gate (Ps. 24:7, 90). The image is that God's Law opens to reveal a brilliant light shining. Reminiscent of God's first word of creation (Gen. 1:3).

the simplepeti (Heb.) the inexperienced and easily misled; usually a youth

v. 131 I opened my mouth and panted – like a person or animal panting for water

v. 132 as Your custom is – "as You always do"

v. 133 Direct my steps – Make my footsteps sure.

let no iniquity have dominion over me – Do not allow me to be ruled by any wrongdoing.

v. 134 the oppression of man – human injustice and subjugation

v. 135 Make Your face shine upon Your servant – calls to mind the "Aaronic" blessing of Numbers 6:23

v. 136 Rivers of water – The poet is genuinely and deeply sorrowful at the rejection of God's Word by the society around him.

v. 139 My zeal has consumed me – Ps. 69:9, John 2:17

v. 140 Your word is very pure – as a refined and precious metal (Ps. 19:9-10)

v. 141 I am small and despised – The poet recognizes himself as "puny" and unloved.

v. 147 I rise before the dawning of the morning – "I greeted the dawn."

v. 148 My eyes are awake through the night watches – "My eyes greet the watches of the night"; i.e. I am awake through the night. The night hours were announced by the watchmen as they went through the city or on its walls.

v. 150 They draw near who follow after wickedness – Literally, "Nearing are those who pursue wickedness." The Hebrew word for "wickedness" can mean "evil purpose" and also "idolatry" (hence, "loathsome things"). These kind of people are at my heels.

v. 151 You are near, O LORD – God is "near" and that makes all the difference.

v. 152 You have founded them forever – God's "statutes," His eternal Word, is anchored in creation itself and before creation. The New Testament clearly associates this idea with Jesus as the eternal Word (logos (Gk.), John 1:1).

v. 154 Revive mechayah (Heb.) enliven me or give me life

v. 158 the treacherous – "traitors" to God and His covenant with His people

v. 160 The entirety of Your word is truth – Your Word is true in its totality

v. 164 Seven times a day I praise You – may either indicate fixed times of prayer or stand for "praying constantly"

v. 165 Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble – It would be strange indeed if the "Shin" section of this acrostic psalm left out shalom, the famous Hebrew word for peace. This verse begins (literally): "Peace+great to those who love Your instruction [Torah]." To them, nothing is truly a stumbling block.

v. 168 all my ways are before You – God knows us through and through.

v. 169 my cry – "my ringing proclamation" (song of prayer)

v. 170 my supplication – my "plea for favor"

v. 171 My lips shall utter praise…my tongue shall speak – Note the Hebrew style of using concrete nouns to anchor abstract ideas in real life.

v. 174 Your law is my delight – Your law is the object of my joy.

v. 176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep – a picture very deeply rooted in the biblical world view (Is. 53:6, Luke 15:1)


"I opened my mouth and panted, For I longed for Your commandments." –Psalm 119:131

We pray today, Lord, for hearts like that of this psalmist. Give us a thirst for Your Word, God.


Children's Ministry

The recent volunteer appreciation BBQ went well as we were able to serve and fellowship with over 120 CM volunteers who bless the children who attend Calvary Chapel Boise each week.

Prayer Points
  • for protection and provision for those who serve each week
  • for more volunteers to come forward to minister to the children each week
  • for the hearts of the children, that Jesus would enter their lives early on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate