Spiritual tug of war ~ David McGee


Acts 13:7-8

"He had attached himself to the governor, Sergius Paulus, a man of considerable insight and understanding. The governor invited Barnabas and Saul to visit him, for he wanted to hear the word of God. But Elymas, the sorcerer (as his name means in Greek), interfered and urged the governor to pay no attention to what Saul and Barnabas said. He was trying to turn the governor away from the Christian faith."
NLT

Life Lesson

Every one of us is involved in a spiritual tug of war.

In this story, we see the governor torn between Saul and Barnabas, who meant him well, and Elymas who tried to keep the governor from hearing about God. I believe we can relate to this because of the many struggles in our lives. We want to hear the Word of God, but sometimes we allow ourselves to be talked out of it. One of the things that can make a huge difference in our lives is coming to church to hear the Bible studies. It encourages us, challenges us, and allows worship and fellowship with one another. It is obvious why the enemy of our souls would not want us in that kind of environment. He will try and use friends, family and loved ones to keep us from church, serving, giving, praying and reading the Bible. Above all the noise; however, the voice of Jesus rings true. Come to Him and He will give you rest. The world says 'get', Jesus says 'give'. The world says focus on 'you'. Jesus says focus on 'others' and upon Him. Be careful what voice you listen to my friend. It is very important.

Dear Lord,
Help me to hear Your voice over the noise of life. Lord it seems that others try to pull me down or keep me from being spiritual. Help me during those weak moments to know what You would say to me. Help me to hear and respond to Your voice and be forgiven. Help me fellowship and love You and others around me. Thank You for continuing to call me. In Jesus' name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate