Ready to shine? ~ Jon Courson






Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer.
2 Thessalonians 1:5

‘The fact that you are persecuted and put down is proof that you’re a part of the Kingdom,’ declares Paul. He would say the same thing to Timothy by writing, ‘Yea, all those who live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution,’ (2 Timothy 3:12).

Hmm.

So often I pray to avoid pressures, problems, and persecutions, when, in reality, it is those very things which would have produced Christ-like qualities within me. There is really no other way.

If you want to be like Jesus, hard times are inevitable.

‘I want to shine like a diamond in the Kingdom,’ we say. You know what a diamond is? It’s a chunk of worthless coal which has undergone tremendous amounts of pressure over many, many years. So if you say in your heart, ‘I want to reflect Jesus,’ know this: there is no other way that will happen than to go through fiery trials over great lengths of time — which is why Peter talks about our faith being purified by fiery trials (I Peter 4:12), and why James says, ‘Count it all joy when you go through these trials,’ (James 1:2).

Although I know this in theory, I still find myself praying, ‘Lord, I don’t want to deal with this. Lord, I don’t want to go through that. Lord, do I have to go there? Lord, get me out of here!’ In reality, such prayers are unwise because they can actually hinder the work the Lord was doing in me through those very difficulties.

Consequently, I am praying less and less, ‘Lord, help me Yourself,’ and more and more, ‘Lord, help Yourself to me. I am tired of directing You. Put me wherever You see I’ll be happy and most fruitful. You know best.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate