Put me in Coach ~ Mark Balmer






God the Ultimate Head Coach

Based on “Under HIS Influence – Yes, Lord” by Pastor Mark Balmer; 10/3-4/09,
Message #MB391; Daily Devotional #6 - “God, the Ultimate Head Coach”



Preparing the Soil (Introduction): In this week’s service, Pastor Mark described Christ followers that are willing to live by the Spirit and follow His direction as players on the football field, while the Christ followers that were content to stay in their comfort zone were depicted as the fans in the stands who cheered them on. As a lifelong fan of football, this analogy stirred my heart. As a fan, I have felt the joy of seeing “my team” win the big game and celebrate to the cheer of millions. I have often imagined what it would be like to catch the winning touchdown or kick the winning kick that sealed the victory in a big game. It is staggering to think how much more important the battle for souls is than a game of football. To the victor goes eternal life with our Lord and Savior, while the loser pays the ultimate price of eternity in anguish and separation from God. I am honored that despite these enormous stakes, through the sacrifice of Jesus I can be more than a passive observer and step onto the field and play a part in God’s plan for victory.


Planting and Watering the Seed (Growth): As Christ followers on the field we can be fully confident in the Lord as our Coach and Leader. We have each been given a talent that can be used to attain victory in the battle for souls. “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) God will give us the strength we need. "Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you." (Luke 10:19, NKJV) Also, we can be assured that God knows exactly the best way to use our talents. God is the Creator of our universe and knows all things, past, present, and future. “I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I Say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.” (Isaiah 46:10) How reassuring to know that our Father is incapable of mistakes. He knows every scenario; His game plan is perfect. As imperfect beings we can rest assured that if we follow His plan we will be victorious.


Harvesting the Crop (Action/Response): The time is now. By saying, “Yes, Lord,” we can run out of the tunnel for the glory of our Creator and play for the greatest goal imaginable. We must listen and be ready to execute God’s plan in His timeline. "Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared." (Exodus 23:20, NKJV) If we stay humble and follow God’s plan to His glory, and not our plan to our glory, we can be assured of victory. "…I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents." (Luke 15:10) Imagine the rejoicing when the battle is won and the eternal satisfaction of having contributed to the victory in humble service.


Cultivating (Additional Reading): Acts 8:5-8; 1 Corinthians 9:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate