Least Most: "It was the least I could do...," ~ Michael James Stone

-excerpt from "Utmost with the Least Most"


It was the least I could do...,


You never know what people will say about you. 


He was a good man, She had a big nose. They sang like angels, he couldn't carry a tune with a wheelbarrow. People often will talk about you like they know you. Do they?


People often remember the oddest things. My wife can tell you about flamingo's on the side of the road driving to Utah. Pink flamingos...plastic pink flamimgos...on the side of the road....., sometimes someone changes them, to leprechauns......green leprechauns.......plastic green leprechauns.....on the side of the road.


I have never seen them but she swears they are there.


People say and remember things we often don't pay much attention to.


I used to when I was a much younger follower of Jesus, find out if a person I was talking to, witnessing to, or just getting to know, had a bible. In those days, much like today, they did not. So I would wait and pray for a "good time" and go get them a Bible and put their name on it and make sure I included some special scripture or prayer for them and sign and date it. 


Then give it it to them


They often thought is was the greatest gift they ever got in their life. So I started buying them new ones instead of giving then old and used one (just kidding, I keep those for myslef). When they reacted with that kind of gratitude, all I really could say was that it was the least I could do. 


After all I secretly hoped as I held their bible and prayed that Jesus would reveal himself to them as He did me. What they considered the greatest, I thought was the least I could do.


I met my wife in an odd way. 


I sent her flowers with a bear in it. A little fuzzy cuddly warm goofy looking bear. At the time it was totally unexpected and not in nature with most men she had met. She fell in love with me and eventually we got married.


The bear sleeps with my wife every night.......... we still have it after all these years. I won't say a word about who really has her heart. At the time I didn't think it was big deal. I won't fight with bear now, he wins. 


Who would have known?


Recently a friend of my wifes at work had been hinting that she was a Christian. Basically my wife is pretty shy and quiet about her faith and like most people, if you start the conversation about God, she might get in on it, but don't assume she is a preacher...lol.


My wife mentioned she wanted to get her something. (grin) You do see it coming....God is like that.... (NO NOT THE BEAR)


I suggested she buy her a bible and put her name on it. I said it doesn't matter too much which one. You just get one you like and put her name on it and maybe I did tell her ONE or two bibles not to get (grin).


She did and she said her friend went nuts and was like a gushing well when you drill oil.  THAR SHE BLOWS. She couldn't stop talking about and holding and reading her "new bible".


What she might not have bought for herself, my wife, following in someones else's footsteps, bought something for her she will never forget. 


My wife wrote in it and I know if she continues in this vein she will be remembered for that bible by her friend. IF she does the same with others, it will likely be true for her also as it was with me. (Guess what you get for your birthday.)


I might know by wife by pink flamingo's and leprechauns....green.....on the side of the road.....but,


What will you be remembered for?


What is the "least" you can do?



Translate