Victorious~Mark Balmer


Victorious

Posted:

Based on “Under HIS Influence – The Battle” by Pastor Mark Balmer; 8/8-9/09,

Message #MB384;


Daily Devotional #1 - “Victorious”



Preparing the Soil (Introduction): I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. (Romans 7:15) I don’t think there is a passage of Scripture that any of us can relate to more than this one. We battle our sin nature on a daily basis. If we are not careful, we can become so frustrated that we enter into discouragement. We need to be aware of temptation and avoid it, but we must also realize that we can’t resist temptation without the help of the Holy Spirit.



Planting and Watering the Seed (Growth): Early in my Christian walk, I battled with trying to change myself. I was frustrated because I was trying to battle my sin nature in my own strength. That led to nothing but frustration, fatigue, and disappointment. One day, the Lord showed me a passage of Scripture that comforted me and also made me realize that I could not change myself on my own.


The passage that was so dear to me was found in the Gospel of John. If you love me you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. (John 14:15-18) How comforting is the last part of that Scripture? Jesus promises us that He would not leave us as orphans.



Harvesting the Crop (Action/Response): The love of Jesus amazes me every day. When I look deep within myself and really evaluate how sinful I am, I can appreciate even more the precious gift Jesus gave me. I truly don’t deserve it. Why would someone take the penalty for my sin? It is a love that I can’t completely understand, but one that I am truly grateful for.


I know that I am not perfect and will stumble at times, but, when faced with the temptation of sin, I look to Jesus and the gift He gave. It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (Galatians 5:1) He gives me the strength to listen to the Holy Spirit and run from the sin that wants to ensnare me. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. (Philippians 2:13) Christ follower, the Holy Spirit resides in you and has given you the power to overcome as well. When discouragement comes, read the book of John, chapters 14-16. You will be victorious in Jesus—He is with you always!



Cultivating (Additional Reading): Romans 7-8; Galatians 5:17

Translate