We see evidence of the power of the Holy Spirit~Mark Balmer

A Sweet, Sweet Spirit

Posted:

Based on “Under HIS Influence – Empowered” by Pastor Mark Balmer; 8/22-23/09,

Message #MB386; Daily Devotional #2 - “A Sweet, Sweet Spirit”

Preparing the Soil (Introduction): From the beginning of God’s Word, we see evidence of the power of the Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:2).


In the Old Testament, we find accounts of men coming under the influence of the Holy Spirit. Moses said that God filled Bezalel with His Spirit and gave him skill, ability, and knowledge to make things out of gold (Exodus 35:30-31).


Joshua was filled with the spirit of wisdom when Moses laid hands on him (Deuteronomy 34:9). Other accounts and descriptions of the Holy Spirit are found in the Old Testament (Daniel 4:18, Micah 3:8, and Jeremiah 36:4).


Between the Old and New Testament, 400 years go by until we read about John the Baptist, who would be filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother’s womb (Luke 1:14-15). Therefore, the Holy Spirit has always been, but did not always dwell permanently with men. He fell upon them for periods of time to accomplish God’s plans. After Jesus death and resurrection, all Christ followers would be filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:16-18; Acts 2:33).

Planting and Watering the Seed (Growth): It is one thing to read of the experiences of those who were under the influence of the Holy Spirit in the Bible, but it is quite another to experience it ourselves.


I am quite attached to my cell phone, but it is of little value to me when the battery is dead.


I rather enjoy driving my car, but it too is of little value when there is no gas in it. The point is, without power the things that are meant to run on it are of no value. Likewise, without the power of the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, we cannot understand God’s Word as we should, nor can we live life as we were designed to do.


He enlightens us to the Truth. We would also miss out on His assurance in our lives. We would go on doing life in our own strength without His empowerment. We would wander without direction, for He guides us. There would be no teacher, and He wouldn’t be there to remind us of the things He has taught us. And, of course, how would we pray effectively if He did not show us the way?


And for me, just recently, His comfort has become an amazing blessing.


A few nights ago, I found it hard to get to sleep. My son had just left that day for another long deployment to a war zone. In my dark room that night, many thoughts came against me. Fear and uncertainty attacked my bruised emotions. I turned to the Lord and asked Him to speak comfort to me, for I had lost my small amount of strength. Suddenly my thoughts turned to words I had heard the Holy Spirit bring to me when my son was sent on his first deployment to Afghanistan.


The Lord woke me up one morning, already knowing what was on my heart, and as I opened my eyes, I heard the words, “He is My precious son, too”. Immediately I understood that the Lord already knew my thoughts before I could voice them, and He was letting me know He was there, and He understood. Without the Holy Spirit operating in my life, I would not be comforted. Life is a battlefield, and I can’t go out each day without the power of the Holy Spirit leading me through.

Harvesting the Crop (Action/Response): To bring hope to others, there must be hope in us. I pray today that you are empowered by the Holy Spirit, enabling you to have many victories over the evil plans the enemy has for each Christ follower.


There is a sweet, sweet spirit waiting to dwell within the Christ follower, and He brings the power to accomplish the dreams God has given to each of us who desire to make a difference in this world.


Nothing that needs power operates without it; we need God’s power, and wonder of wonders; it is available for the asking and receiving. Be teachable so that you may present to others the hope that is within you. Do it in the power of the Holy Spirit, living mightily in you!

Cultivating (Additional Reading): Ephesians 4:30; 1 Thessalonians 5:19; Matthew 12:31-32

Translate