But God ~Mark Balmer


But God

Posted:

Based on “Under HIS Influence – The Holy Spirit”


by Pastor Mark Balmer; 8/15-16/09,

Message #MB385;


Daily Devotional #2 - “But God”



Preparing the Soil (Introduction): Sit quietly for a moment and read these words as if you were having a conversation with God as He says: “Why are you resisting me? Have I failed you? Have I ever taken you down the wrong road? Do you not believe that what I say is true and will come to pass?


I was the one who created the heavens, the earth, and even you. I know the beginning from the end, the past and the future. And yet you think you know what is better for you than I do. What I want for you is better than anything you could ask or imagine. That is how much I love you, and I want to do good things for and through you. Please stop resisting, you stubborn child. I want to lead you gently yet, if you continue, I will have to guide you with force. You are My Child. I want only the very best for you.” (Joshua 23:14; Genesis 1:1; Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 46:10; Ephesians 3:20; John 15:5; Psalm 32:8-9; Hebrews 12:7)



Planting and Watering the Seed (Growth): I have experienced God's broken heart pleading with me to experience Him more fully; to experience His love in and through me. I wish I could say I have never come to Him with the “But God” statement.


However, that has been my reaction many times over the years. But God, this is the girl I want to date. But God, this is the job I want. But God, it is not a sin for anyone else, why do I have to give it up? Over and over I would look at my immediate circumstances and try to tell God how He should solve my problems. Then, when He gave me guidance that did not fit my plan, I would say, “But God...“



Harvesting the Crop (Action/Response): With the Holy Spirit living in us as Christ followers we have God with us at all times giving us every spiritual thing we need for life. Pastor Mark went over a few examples this week: The Holy Spirit assures, teaches, reminds, enlightens, confronts, guides, helps us pray, and empowers us.


We have God in us. It is not just words in a song we sing. He truly dwells in us, and we need to recognize His voice and His leading, so we can follow (obey) Him. As God is guiding our lives, He does know what is best for us. He knows every step He wants us to take to become everything He has planned. He is the greatest parent. He does not make mistakes, act out of anger, or react to a situation without knowing all the details. He does not abandon us or stop loving us because of anything we have done or not done.


What He wants is a close relationship with you where He can guide you past trouble and even through it at times. The areas where you resist Him are your issues of not fully trusting Him. Yes, you say He is your God, yet you place yourself above Him in your mind when you think you know more than He does.


Anytime you say no to God you are taking Him out of the driver’s seat of your life. God is not your co-pilot. He is the Captain of your plane. Maybe today God has reminded you of an area in which you have been resisting Him. Stop resisting Him today and experience all that He has planned for you. Maybe today you are not being convicted at all. Praise God. Yet be cautious. The “But God's” can spring up quickly if we are not diligently seeking Him.


Pray as Jesus did. “…not as I will, but as you will.” (Matthew 26:39)



Cultivating (Additional Reading): Psalm 32; Psalm 139

Translate