If you are following Jesus then you have much to look forward to.~David McGee


Thursday, July 30th 2009
---------------------

Romans 8:18-19

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God.
NKJV

Life Lesson

If you are following Jesus then you have much to look forward to.

---------------------

I read a story about twin boys who, though they looked alike, were different in almost every other way. Perhaps the most decided distinction was their outlook on life. One was a constant optimist while the other was a perennial cynic. One Christmas, their father decided to experiment. On the pessimist's side of the Christmas tree, the father piled up games and toys and on the optimist's side, he piled up horse manure. When morning came, the cynic sat amongst his gifts crying. When the father asked why, the child responded, "because now I'll have to share and I'm sure I'll constantly be changing out batteries in these toys and losing pieces to these games." In contrast, the optimist was singing and dancing around joyfully. When his father queried, he said, "with all this manure there's got to be a pony around here somewhere!"

Seems rather silly, doesn't it? Yet we can all be like the cynic. We focus on the world and all its trials and tribulations and forget that Jesus told us He has overcome the world. Buried in the short term and forgetting about the long term, we get so tied up in our pessimism that we lose sight of our inheritance.

Philippians 3:13-14 "Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." NKJV

Friend, don't be a pessimist. You have God's promise that even the worst this world will throw at you will work to bring about the best that God has for you. This world has enough cynics. Pessimists seldom solve problems. Optimists change the world. Friend, press toward the goal. Don't sit on the sidelines. Got trials? There's probably more to come. "But God", two words that turn the tables on trouble and strike fear in the heart of Satan. Don't allow yourself to be discouraged. Take heart and play a part. Now is the time, before it's too late.

Dear Father,
Thank You for adopting me into Your Kingdom. Thank You that no matter what the trials are and no matter how high the hill to climb, You are there to pull me through. Don't let me be a cynic. I want to make a difference in this world and in the lives of others and I can't do that if I am on the sidelines. Please give me opportunities to serve You and make a difference. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Living to tell what He died to say,
Pastor David McGee
Senior Pastor
Calvary Chapel of the Triad
reachthetriad.com
twitter.com/ccot

Translate