Be not Unequally Yoked Together with Unbelievers~Jon Courson

July 12

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers ...

2 Corinthians 6:14
‘I want to be big-hearted and open-minded, so I’m going to marry her, or develop a business partnership with him even though he or she isn’t a believer.’

‘Wait a minute,’ says Paul. ‘Don’t misunderstand. Be big towards your brothers and sisters in the Lord. But be careful you don’t err by being yoked in partnership or relationship with an unbeliever.’

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

The Greek word translated ‘easy’ means ‘good fit’. Because an ill-fitting yoke would cause chafing of the hide or even a dislocation of the animal’s shoulder, yokes were custom-designed to ensure a perfect fit. No doubt Jesus knew whereof He spoke in using this analogy, for the Greek word translated ‘carpenter’, used concerning Joseph and, by implication, Jesus, is ‘tekton’, from which we get our word ‘technical’. The ‘tekton’ was not the framer, but rather the finish carpenter, a master craftsman. Jesus and His father, Joseph, were master craftsmen. Thus, there is historical evidence to support the tradition that the specialty in their carpenter shop was yokes.

‘Take My yoke upon you,’ Jesus says. ‘It will fit you perfectly and the load you’re pulling will become light as you link with Me.’
This Daily Devotional is an excerpt from the book "A Days Journey" by Pastor Jon. "A Days Journey" is a collection of 365 short devotions from the New Testatment. If you would like your own copy of "A Days Journey" you may click here to go to the SearchLight Store

Translate